Bake: Treacle Tart


Treacle tart was always one of my favourite childhood puddings, and making it takes me right back down memory lane. My kids didn't like the sound of it at all, until I told them it is golden syrup and not real treacle at all!

Ingredients
For the pastry case
100g Plain flour
75g Butter
1 tsp Caster sugar

For the filling
454g Bottle of Golden Syrup
Breadcrumbs made with 2-3 slices of bread

This makes 1 20cm (8inch) tart.

Method
1. Rub together the flour and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and a little cold water until it forms a ball. Alternatively, put the ingredients in a food processor and whizz together. Pour a little water down the funnel until it clumps together.

2. Put the oven on at 190C and wrap the pastry and pop it in the fridge until the oven comes to temperature. 

3. Sprinkle flour on your work surface and roll out wide enough to cover your flan dish. Place in the dish and prick the base with a fork. Add in some ceramic baking beans (I just pop a couple of teapsoons on mine) and bake blind for approximately 15 minutes. 

4. Remove from the oven and take out your beans/teaspoons.

5. Tip the breadcrumbs into the case and squeeze the golden syrup on top. You may not need a whole bottle.

6. Pop back in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes.

Delicious served with custard, cream or ice-cream.


Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. I haven't made one in years, like you childhood memories. Think I'll make one on Sunday, we are having visitors then
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that would be lovely, Julie. My Nan used to add cornflakes to hers, one tradition that I haven't followed!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts