Bake: Low Fat Carrot & Sultana Cake

Continuing from my spell in hospital in the Spring, I am left with some relatively minor health issues which require me to take steroids, possibly for the rest of my life. I am thrilled that they make me feel so much better and that without them, I couldn't survive, but unfortunately, they have really made me put on weight and I have never been heavier. So, I am for the first time ever, dieting and exercising on a regular basis, but I don't want to deny myself the occasional treat, so I checked out the Hairy Dieters (Bikers) book for this recipe.


Carrot & Sultana Cake - 10 slices, 239 calories per slice

Ingredients
3 Medium Carrots (I used just 2 small ones as that was all I had), grated
3 Eggs
100ml Sunflower oil
100g Demerara sugar
200g Self Raising flour
100g Sultanas
Zest of 1 orange (I didn't use this)
1tsp Ground cinnamon
Some grated nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190C and grease and line a 23cm round cake tin.

2. Beat the eggs in a bowl, add in the sunflower oil and sugar and whisk until combined. Add to this, the grated carrot followed by the flour, sultanas, orange zest, spices and baking powder. Mix well and then pour into the tin.

3. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake feels springy to the touch and just shrinking back from the sides. Leave for 5 minutes to cool before turning out on a wire rack. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.

Unfortunately, despite mine being springy to the touch and shrinking from the sides, it seems a little undercooked right in the centre, but I am going to enjoy it anyway. It's a really nice, but not too sweet cake.

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts