Sewn: First Aid Pouch

With my new medical needs and a holiday just around the corner, I really needed to get myself organised with a first aid kit that didn't look like it was assembled in the 1990s. You know when you peep in and the bandages still have paper wrappers and anything remotely antiseptic is now just a wizened old tube of gunk! It also needed to be portable, so I made myself a little first aid pouch!


You cannot fail to notice that big red cross which will hold all my essential meds! I loved working with such tiny little squares and using up many of the scraps from this quilt. Scrap busting fills me with frugal joy, ha ha! One day, I would really love to make a larger version of the Plus quilt, I particularly like this one from Diary of a Quilter, which was inspired by one made during World War II. 


Note, I went for the traditional nursing pairing of red, white and blue. 


So, what should you keep in your first aid kit? This is what the NHS recommends.

  • Plasters in a range of sizes. I like to keep a variety of types, such as for blisters, burns etc.
  • Sterile gauze dressings in a couple of sizes
  • Sterile eye bandage
  • Triangular bandage
  • Crepe bandages
  • Safety pins
  • Sterile gloves
  • Tweezers
  • Scissors
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Micropore tape
  • Digital thermometer
  • Insect bite relief
  • Painkillers
  • Antihistamine tablets
I would add in tubigrip in a couple of sizes and some deep heat, for injury prone teenagers! I am beginning to think I might need a bigger pouch!



Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts