Le Challenge: Small Sashiko Phone Case

This month's Le Challenge theme is Small and I had no trouble deciding on what I was going to make: a Sashiko phone case for my new phone. This was my very first time at trying my hand at Sashiko, so please be kind!! The fabric I used is a linen/viscose blend which I used to make this dress and is a deep purple colour, not quite the intense indigo that is traditionally used.


Sashiko thread should be quite thick - I used two threads of some embroidery floss which I already had in my stash. Cottonpatch have a range of threads, patterns and the unusual thimble in stock.


I sketched my freehand design on my fabric with some fabric chalk.

I found it quite tricky to embroider such a lightweight fabric - I could really have done with an embroidery hoop! There is an art to getting the stitch and gap ratio correct, and I don't even pretend that I managed it! But I did try the technique of putting lots of stitches on my needle and then pushing the fabric through.

Do be sure to check out the other Le Challenge entries this month by clicking here:


Le Challenge

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. Not bad for first try :) I like sashiko too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I may have another try at Sashiko soon.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done for a first try! I've never tried it myself, but it looks like a fun way to keep busy when you are on the go! Do you plan to try again, or do you feel like you've gotten sashiko out of your system? If you liked it, I'd say keep it up, because you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not got it out of my system - the more patterns I see, the more I want to try!! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. As someone just starting to try embroidery, the sashiko looks pretty good to me :D I like the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks pretty good to me. Love that indigo color

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great for a first time at sashiko (without a hoop), this is pretty good! Thanks for participating in le challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it makes me want to have a go at other embroidery too.

      Delete
  6. This looks great - a lovely finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I bought a book about sashiko but have yet to try it! Thanks for linking your beautiful phone case to le challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts