Sewn: New Look 6803 Tunic - from Madmen to Mini

Way back in March (before illness), this tunic was going to be my entry in Julia Bobbin's Mad Men Challenge. It was a Trudy Campbell dress :



Follow Emma's board Trudy on Pinterest.

However, after pinning the pattern out, I fell ill and the Mad Men Challenge came and went without my entry! But, I was determined to finish it despite in the early stages of being ill, just cutting out the pocket pieces was tiring, and I made very slow progress. I spent way too long thinking about whether to use a contrasting fabric for the top, but luckily chanced upon a table runner which I bought for a couple of euros in France last Summer which was the perfect fabric for the contrast, n'est ce pas?


Pattern 
New Look 6803 view C


Pattern Description
Tunic dress with cap sleeves and contrast trim

Size
I am a UK size 8-10, but I used the smallest size, US 10, even though I knew it would be too big - I wanted a loose fit for this tunic. However, size was still an issue across the top half of my body, and I had to insert some pintucks in order to lose some fabric. 

The length of the tunic looked really frumpy on the packet, and I am only 5' 2", so shortened the pattern when I cut it out. Then I made the mistake of lopping off more when it was almost complete, and ended up with this, too mini, tunic. 

Yikes, my legs are too skinny here!
Instructions
This was a really easy pattern and the instructions were so clear. Putting in a pocket was a first for me and it was so easy to do!


 Fabric Used
Coral Linen Look Cotton fabric from Minerva Crafts. This fabric has a barkcloth like texture to it and is so easy to sew with.

Table Runner from Casa which you are not going to tell anyone about, are you?!


Alterations
I inserted a nice clean French seam in the centre back (another first for me). I have already mentioned the pintucks which were inserted from the neckline. For modesty's sake, I also handstitched the lower end of the V in the tunic.

To combat the mini length, I added in a ruffle hem which I really like. It transforms it into a pretty, feminine dress, which I will be happy to wear all summer.

Sew it Again?
Yes, happily. I would like to try it with a band of the same contrasting fabric on the skirt.

I am really happy with the finished article, which was a bit of a happy accident really - it just shows the perils of sewing when you are not well!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. Looks fab! Fantastic save with that ruffle. Inspired me to try one xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts